Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Adversity bringing out the best in people

Life can be tough and demanding, it can throw a lot of obstacles your way, some may be easier than others but in the end, they can be overcome and can strengthen a person.
 In an article by the Daily Press for the signing of new head coach Brian Flores of the Miami Dolphins, said, “You’re going to deal with adversity I slept on an air mattress for a year. You’re going to have to make sacrifices. And you can’t make excuses.” With hard work and sacrifice, he is now a head coach of an NFL team.
Adversity is used a lot like a sports dilemma but it can be an everyday dilemma for some people because certain people deal with adversity because of financial instabilities, social instability, or anything that holds them back from reaching their full potential.
“We were homeless for about a month hopping from house to house park to park,” said Braden Gackstetter, 19, kinesiology major.
Social instability can affect a person who loses a loved one or a friend. “I’ve lost one friend to suicide, one to drunk driving, and the one that hurts the most was my friend who was shot,” said Connor Collins, 19, liberal/behavioral science major.
Getting through adversity can be tough and may take time and involves a process to overcome.
“Honestly I don't think I would've gotten through all of this without my family,” said Gackstetter, “ With me being the oldest I want to set an example for my younger siblings.”
Family support is useful for people when getting through those tough times in life because not one person can do it alone; people need that support to drive them.
“Growing up it was just me and my mom going through it,” said Kristian Toa Akina-Aumavae, 20, communications major.
To be financially stable may be another reason why people keep going no matter what comes on their way. “What keeps me motivated is that $80,000 check I can get for football if I work hard enough,” said Dylan Mccreery, 19, liberal arts major.
When people need motivation there are a lot of different ways to find it. It can be in the form of family, money, or their future.
“You need to find your why, and that's something big because if you don't have a reason it's going to be hard to overcome those obstacles,” said Damon- Jonsha Laushaul, 22, liberal arts major.
  Laushaul learned that from a former De Anza College football player who at practice would praise for everybody to find their reason why.

“What motivates me is all the ones I've lost and all the ones I know I can help,” Collins said, “I know I'm meant to do big things and that’s why I continue to drag myself through all the adversity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment